General Responsibilities of Parent/Guardian Participation in Field Trips and Excursions:
Parents/guardians are encouraged to participate in field trips and excursions to assist with supervision of students. Parents/guardians accompanying a school group shall receive clear information regarding their responsibilities, contact information and itinerary from the sponsoring teacher.
Transporting Students: It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure you:
- Have an administrative approved Driver’s Application on file.
- Maintain the vehicle(s) in safe operating conditions (brakes, tires, etc.)
- Have students in seat belts/ appropriate car seats at all times while traveling. California law requires children to be in a child safety seat and to ride in the back seat of the vehicle, unless they are age eight or older or weigh 60 pounds or more.
- Allow only students seated in the front seat that are 12 years or older as required by RSA’s liability insurance provider.
- Never leave students unattended in vehicle.
- Refrain from any use of cellular devices while transporting students including hands free devices as required by RSA’s liability insurance provider.
- Transport using the most direct, safest route to and from the event.
- Return to the school immediately following the school field trip without additional stops that have not been included in the permission slip, i.e. fast food, gas stations, etc.
- Notify school personnel if you no longer wish to drive or if you wish to be removed from the Approved Driver List.
- Chaperones will be assigned a specific group of students and shall be responsible for the continuous monitoring of those students at all times.
- Shall not consume alcohol or use controlled substances (except for medications taken under a physician's orders) while accompanying and supervising students on a field trip or excursion.
- Provide the teacher a cell phone number to be used during the field trip.
- Dress and behave responsibly as a representative of RSA.
- Immediately report to the teacher any student misbehavior, issues or accidents.
- Adhere to teacher guidelines and/or directions provided for specific fieldtrip/excursion